Monday, June 14, 2010

A non-expert cooking

Still a non-working holiday so I decided to prepare a lunch for my family. At first, I'm hesitant because I am not that expert in cooking.

I was not sure what to serve so I just went to the marketplace in the city to look what possibly is the best to cook.

I found this bunch of meat. Chicken will do for lunch. Hmmm.. the brain said, "..maybe I can do the chicken stir-fry with carrots and potatoes." It’s so easy to prepare and delicious, too ..perhaps. After buying the "raw" for my soon-to-be-masterpiece in the kitchen, I rushed home and hurriedly prepared the ingredients and start cooking.

Filipino dishes have different variations depending on what province or ethnic group it belongs. Actually, this is the Tagalog version of “afritada.” The afritada of the Tagalogs may be different from the preparations of other groups from Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. More or less, the preparations are a quite the same and the most important is the distinct taste that every taste bud will love.


Chicken stir-fry with carrots and potatoes

Ingredients:

1 kilo chicken breasts, cut into bite sizes
2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut in proportions
2 medium sized carrots, peeled and sliced in proportions
1 garlic, crushed
1 onion, sliced
3 tomatoes, sliced
1 laurel leaf
Water, fish sauce, salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Saute onion, garlic and tomatoes until slightly cooked. Add chicken and season it with patis (fish sauce) while stirring occasionally. Cover it and simmer on medium fire until the chicken is slightly cooked. Add potatoes and carrots then stir. Pour in two cups of water. Let it boil until potatoes are tender. Add salt and pepper according to the desired taste. Garnish with laurel leaf.

Here is the finish product. Chicken stir-fry with carrots and potatoes (afritada Tagalog-style) served with steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails